WEDI Releases ICD-10 Survey Results; Providers Lagging

WEDI LogoThe Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange (WEDI), announced the release of its findings from its June 2015 ICD-10 Industry Readiness Survey yesterday. In letters to the Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary, WEDI shared survey results and recommendations, strongly encouraging the department to continue to leverage its communication channels to promote the need for compliance.

The survey results show that nearly one-quarter of physician practices surveyed said they will not be ready by the October 1st deadline, while another one-quarter were unsure. This lack of readiness may lead to disruption in claims processing.

Study highlights include:

  • Physician practice testing and readiness: Only about 20% of physician practices have started or completed external testing and less than 50% responded that they were ready or would be ready for Oct. 1. This is cause for concern.
  • Hospital/health system testing and readiness: Almost 75% of hospitals and health systems have started or completed external testing. Additionally, nearly 90% responded that they were ready or would be ready by the compliance date, while a few were unsure if they would be ready.
  • Health plan testing and readiness: Nearly 75% of health plans have begun or completed external testing. 40% responded that they were already prepared and the remaining 60% said they would be ready by October 1.
  • Vendor product development and availability: 75% of vendor respondents have fully completed product development and no one responded that their products would not be ready by the compliance date.

WEDI recommendations to HHS included the following:

  • HHS should expeditiously provide full transparency regarding the readiness of individual Medicaid agencies by state.
  • The recently-announced Ombudsman position should be appointed as soon as possible and WEDI strongly urges CMS to not wait until the compliance deadline to complete this appointment.
  • The go-live ICD-10 support plan should include leveraging WEDI’s and CMS’ implementation support program, which already serves as the central source for collecting ICD-10 industry issues and solutions.
  • Additional outreach is needed in order to help providers with complying with most recent local coverage determination codes (LCDs).

The survey results are based on responses from 621 respondents, consisting of 453 providers, 72 vendors and 96 health plans. This is the eleventh ICD-10 readiness survey WEDI has conducted since 2009, all of which were done in an effort to gain a broad perspective on the readiness status for different sections of the industry, and to gauge how quickly they are progressing towards the Oct. 1, 2015 implementation deadline. More information on WEDI events and ICD-10 work products are also available on the WEDI website at

Join Our Newsletter

Get Updates Direct to Your Inbox. Gain access to a rich library of articles, white papers, webinars, podcasts and more. Register today to receive eMDs Insights newsletter.

Specialty *
State *